The Andhra University, Located amidst sylvan surroundings in Waltair uplands on the east coast, AU is the first to be named after a South
Indian language and also the first to be conceived as a residential
teaching-cum-affiliating university mainly devoted to PG courses and research.
The university was constituted in response to a plea from Telugu areas to the
erstwhile Madras province. It was formally inaugurated at Bezawada (Vijayawada)
in 1926 by Lord Goschen, the first Chancellor, with Dr C R Reddy as the founder
vice-chancellor. In the beginning, it had no home of its there were only four
departments and less than 20 research scholars and six teachers. At present, it
has over 1500 teachers, 1,000 scholars, 7,000 students and 3,000 administrative
staff. The university has played a pioneering role in introducing several
job-oriented courses in the country.
Thanks to the strong foundations laid by its the first two Vice-Chancellors, Sri
C. R. Reddy and Sri S. Radhakrishnan, who brought great men of science and
letters, into the portals of Andhra University, such as Sir C. V. Raman and Sir
Rabindranath Tagore, who literally illuminated the young minds in those days in
The College of Arts and Commerce and Law and Science and Technology were started
in 1931 and 1932 respectively. Later in 1946, Engineering College, Visakhapatnam
was temporarily located at Kakinada. However, its location at Kakinada became
permanent. A separate Department of Engineering was started in the campus in
1955 which later became a college in 1966. Andhra University is the first
University in the country to start Full-time MBA programme in 1957. Admissions
to MBA in Colleges in Andhra University and other affiliated colleges were done
based on MBACET ( ICET since 2001)
The School of Correspondence Courses (presently called as School of Distance
Education), which was started in 1972 is offering both graduate and
post-graduate courses besides diploma courses. The Rector of the University is
currently the Principal of the College.
The university has four campus colleges - Engineering, Science and Technology,
Arts and Commerce and College of Law - and also two Postgraduate extension
centers one at Kakinada (East Godavari district) and the other at Etcherla,
Stikakulam District). The University also offers several courses through the
School of Distance Education under distance education system. Presently, the
university has the jurisdiction of five revenue districts with 200 affiliated
The university now has over 6,000 students, 1,800 research scholars and about
800 teachers and 3,000 non-teaching staff most of whom live in campus. Many of
the students of Andhra University achieved good heights in their life with the
solid foundations being given at the University.
It has now over fifty-five full fledged faculties offering a rich array of
Bachelors and Masters programmes catering to the needs of every-increasing
number of students from diverse background. Since its inception in 1926, this
University has earned a reputation for high standards in both teaching and
The Department of Atomic Energy has allotted Rs. 9.5 crores in 9th plan to set
up a Low Power Research Reactor at Andhra University in collaboration with Baba
Atomic Research Center. The Government of Andhra Pradesh has agreed to meet Rs.
75 lakhs towards annual recurring and operations of the facility when the
construction completes. The Low Power Research Reactor will generate
multi-disciplinary research activities in the application of nuclear techniques
in Andhra University in particular and Research Organisations and Universities
of this region in general.
The university is scaling greater heights entering into tie-up arrangements with
foreign Universities and institutions in all fields to further the cause of
higher education and research. With a view to creating a development fund, the
University has set up a Resource Mobilisation Cell with the following units:
Consultancy Unit, Alumni Unit and infrastructure Management unit. Keeping step
with the modern trends in science and technology, the university continues to
provide advanced educational opportunities through new courses and programmes
for the benefit of the students entering the portals of the University. With
seventy years of rich experience in research, teaching and community service the
andhra University is destined to play a constructive and dynamic role in the
field of higher education and in national progress as well.
Famous Personalities from A.U.
Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan former President of Independent India.
Sir C.V. Raman was even the Honorary Professor of Physics until his demise.
Sri C.R. Reddy
Sir Gowasjee Jehangir, a brilliant Economist, was the first Professor of
Dr. V.S. Krishna, UGC Chairman
Prof. Ludwig Wolff was Professor of Chemistry
Sri Mamidipudi Venkata Rangaiya, the celebrated Historian was brought from the
Prof. V.K.R.V. Rao and Prof. Humayun Kabir, both Central Ministers of Indian
Official Website www.andhrauniversity.info