St John's Church in Vizag | Places of worship, Vizag
Home>Destinations>In Vizag>Placesof Worship>St John's Church
St John's Church


In Vizag




Buddhist Sites

Places of Worship


Around Vizag


Hill Stations

Eco Hot Spots


Places of Worship

Natural Wonders

Buddhist Circuits



Constructed in the year 1838 St. Pauls church is the megnificent edifice the enjoys continued patronage for centuries. To this day the edifices of St. Paul's churche exist in their original place, and have managed to retain, to a great degree, their original architectural flavour, despite the necessary structural modifications and extensions that have been effected from time to time. The church, having Anglican roots, is now part of the Krishna Godavari Diocese, which in turn is part of the C.S. I. ( Church of South India ). The St. Paul 's church belong to a single Parish, namely the St. John's Parish, whose religious duties are looked after by the Presbyter-in-Charge. Serving with him are one or more Assistant Presbyters and/or Ordinands as appointed by the Bishop of the K.G. Diocese. The administration of the Parish is the job of a periodically elected Committee headed by the Chairman (the Presbyter-in-Charge), Secretary and Treasurer. The Parish Society runs the St. John's Parish School (re-started in 1967 by the late Mrs. Kathleen deLima, wife of the late Mr. Alfred W. deLima, ex Dy. Chairman, Visakhapatnam Port Trust).
(English Service Only)
Sunday Worship:8:00 AM

(Holy Communion 1st, 3rd & 4th Sundays) (Common Worship 2nd Sunday)

Sunday School:8:00 AM

In keeping with tradition, the expenses of the St. Paul 's Churche are borne by the congregation. In C.S. I. nomenclature, the Parish is 'self supporting'.

Vizagpatam(Old name for Vizag) was a station for European troops during the 18th and 19th centuries. According to custom the european troops conducted their prayers and services regularly. These services were conducted by missionaries where such were available; in other places the commanding Officer or Senior Civil Servant performed these tasks. In 1806, two missionaries of the London Missionary Society, Cran and Des Granges, arrived at Vizagpatam and their services were utilized till 1917, when a regular Chaplain was appointed and stationed here. Despite all these arrangements, the base at Military base had a proper dedicated place of worship. In 1807, the Commander-in-Chief of the Madras Army pressed upon the Government that every Military station should have a Church building. Very soon this was done and churches were erected in many places including in Vizag. Vizag, despite being an important military station, did not have a Government constructed church building. This happened because the residents themselves had already built a church which served their purpose well enough. This arrangement carried on till the privately constructed church building became dilapidated and was declared not worth repairing.

The General Officer Commanding was made aware of the origin and deteriorated condition of the old Church building at Vizagpatam Fort area. As per the Company's policy, it was obligatory for the Government to provide a Church of suitable size for every military station. Therefore an appeal was made through the Military Board. The building was sanctioned but appreciable delay in its implementation was caused by deliberations as to the required size of the building and possible change in the location of the building. After a delay of about 6 years after it was sanctioned, the building designed to accommodate 250 persons , was erected in 1844. It was designed by the eminent engineer, Major Arthur Cotton (father of the Godavari irrigation scheme). The Church was consecrated in 1844 by Bishop Spencer, and named in honour of St. John the Evangelist. The compound wall was built in 1875. A school for Eurasian children was built near the church (no record could be found as to how long this school was operated as such).
How to Reach There
Located in Siripuram Area Opposite to Circuit House St Pauls chrcu is easily reeachable by bus or your own vehicle.
Suggested Itinerary
Full Day Itinerary Dolphins Nose, Ross Hill, RK Mission, Aquarium, Lane Of Fame, Submarine Museum, Visakha Museum, VUDA Park, Sivaji Park, Kailasgiri Park
Events and Attractions  
The St. John's Church building was entirely re-roofed (and subsequently re-consecrated) in 1992. A new Parsonage was constructed in the mid 90's. A guest house was built atop the Parsonage in 2005. The pipe organ was repaired in the early 21st century and is in a good playable state now. A beautiful lawn has been painstakingly developed by the erstwhile Presbyter-in-Charge, the Rev. E.B.S. Nadh, who was also responsible for the rest of the recent landscaping and beautification in the St. John's compound.









Nearby Places

Tenneti Park
Zoo Park
Kambala Konda
Mudasarlova Park


AP Tourism Mayuri-Rushikonda
AP Toursm - Punnami
Green Park Hotel
Bommana Palace
Palm Beach


E Books
Latest News
Articles / Publications
Destinations  |  Accommodation  |  Activities  |  Arrival  |  About Vizag  | 

About Us |  Contact Us |  Home |