St Paul's Church in Vizag | Places of worship
Home>Destinations>In Vizag>Placesof Worship>St Pauls Church
St Pauls Church


In Vizag




Buddhist Sites

Places of Worship


Around Vizag


Hill Stations

Eco Hot Spots


Places of Worship

Natural Wonders

Buddhist Circuits



Constructed in the year 1838 St. Pauls church is the megnificent edifice the enjoys continued patronage for centuries. To this day the edifices of St. Paul's churche exist in their original place, and have managed to retain, to a great degree, their original architectural flavour, despite the necessary structural modifications and extensions that have been effected from time to time. The churches, having Anglican roots, are now part of the Krishna Godavari Diocese, which in turn is part of the C.S. I. ( Church of South India ). The St. Paul 's churches belong to a single Parish, namely the St. John's Parish, whose religious duties are looked after by the Presbyter-in-Charge. Serving with him are one or more Assistant Presbyters and/or Ordinands as appointed by the Bishop of the K.G. Diocese. The administration of the Parish is the job of a periodically elected Committee headed by the Chairman (the Presbyter-in-Charge), Secretary and Treasurer. The Parish Society runs the St. John's Parish School (re-started in 1967 by the late Mrs. Kathleen deLima, wife of the late Mr. Alfred W. deLima, ex Dy. Chairman, Visakhapatnam Port Trust).

In keeping with tradition, the expenses of the St. Paul 's Churche are borne by the congregation. In C.S. I. nomenclature, the Parish is 'self supporting'
Vizagpatam(Old name for Vizag) was a station for European troops during the 18th and 19th centuries. According to custom the european troops conducted their prayers and services regularly. These services were conducted by missionaries where such were available; in other places the commanding Officer or Senior Civil Servant performed these tasks. In 1806, two missionaries of the London Missionary Society, Cran and Des Granges, arrived at Vizagpatam and their services were utilized till 1917, when a regular Chaplain was appointed and stationed here. Despite all these arrangements, the base at Military base had a proper dedicated place of worship. In 1807, the Commander-in-Chief of the Madras Army pressed upon the Government that every Military station should have a Church building. Very soon this was done and churches were erected in many places including in Vizag. Vizag, despite being an important military station, did not have a Government constructed church building. This happened because the residents themselves had already built a church which served their purpose well enough. This arrangement carried on till the privately constructed church building became dilapidated and was declared not worth repairing.

During the period from 1807 to 1837 the higher ups in the social and military strata built houses for themselves in Waltair, which was the northern suburb of Vizagpatam. The hilly region facing the sea was a charming locale and made for an enviable atmosphere to live in. This area was about four miles removed from the church at Vizagpatam; consequently the attendance at the church at Vizagpatam became irregular and sparse. The need arose for a second church, to be located in the residential area of Waltair.

Chaplain Vincent Shortland took the lead and raised funds for this purpose from the locals.The design and supervision of the building, which could accommodate over 150 persons, was done by Capt J.H. Bell, of the Madras Engineers. The construction was completed 1838. The church was consecrated in the same year by Bishop Spencer and named in honour of St. Paul. The entire cost was borne by the congregation. Later additions to the furniture, etc. were also contributed by the members. In 1862, a new harmonium was bought, as well as a reading desk for the Chaplain. Then came the stained glass window and brass lectern. Other additions in the frontal area and the altar space followed in time, including a lovely carved English oak reredos. The original church had neither tower nor belfry. A belfry was added in 1863. The congregation provided a bell. This belfry was destroyed during the cyclone of 1872, and rebuilt the same year at the other end of the church. Over the years, repairs and additions were carried out. The compound wall was built in 1857; the chancel was enlarged in 1875. The entire building was re-roofed in 1899.
How to Reach There
SLocated in Siripuram Area iOpposite to Circuit House St Pauls chrcu is easily reeachable by bus or your own vehicle.
Suggested Itinerary
Full Day Itinerary Dolphins Nose, Ross Hill, RK Mission, Aquarium, Lane Of Fame, Submarine Museum, Visakha Museum, VUDA Park, Sivaji Park, Kailasgiri Park
Events and Attractions  
A wooden pulpit was acquired and installed in the mid '70's through the efforts of the late Mr. Alfred W. deLima (ex Dy. Chairman, Visakhapatnam Port Trust). A Community Hall was built in 1991 , the foundation stone of which was laid by the late Mr. Alfred W. deLima. The building was extended (a balcony added) and the church re-consecrated in 1995. During the renovation/extension, the pipe organ was dismantled with the intention of refitting, but this could not be done successfully; consequently the church does not have a pipe organ as it did earlier. The carved oak reredos mentioned earlier was carefully preserved during this time and set as a frame to enhance the elegance of the imposing doorway. The existing Community hall was completely refurbished, fitted with air conditioning and rededicated in 2007 to be used as a Prayer-cum-Community Hall..









Nearby Places

Tenneti Park
Zoo Park
Kambala Konda
Mudasarlova Park


AP Tourism Mayuri-Rushikonda
AP Toursm - Punnami
Green Park Hotel
Bommana Palace
Palm Beach


E Books
Latest News
Articles / Publications
Destinations  |  Accommodation  |  Activities  |  Arrival  |  About Vizag  | 

About Us |  Contact Us |  Home |